Help needed in choosing an algorithm for Cryptographic services.

Sebastian 'lunar' Wiesner basti.wiesner at gmx.net
Fri May 30 18:39:53 EDT 2008

[ Peter Pearson <ppearson at nowhere.invalid> ]

> On Thu, 29 May 2008 20:27:35 -0500, Larry Bates wrote:
>> abhishek wrote:
>>> Hi group, recently my employer asked me too implement encryption/
>>> decryption for secure data transfer over internet. Problem is that the
>>> client application is written using C# and the webserver where i need
>>> to store the information is developed using python.
>>>
>>> My situation of dilemma is which cryptographic method suits me best
>>> for this purpose.
>>>
>>> Help/Suggestions are urgently required

> Data security is a complex and difficult problem, and you are likely
> to fail in the worst possible way: implementing something that is
> weak but that you believe to be strong.  Some advice: (1) Use
> off-the-shelf products like PGP or GPG; don't write your own.

full ack.

> (2) Read Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography to get a feeling
> for the dimensions of the problem.

While this book is most certainly worth reading, I doubt, that it is
necessary to gain in-depth knowledge of cryptography to make use of it in
your code.

If you transfer data over SSL-connection, you should rely on them being
safe, you don't need to understand the details.  You only need to know,
what SSL can protect against, and what it can't protect against.

                                      (Rosa Luxemburg)