My n00bie brain hurts after "Python setup.py install".

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sat Jun 21 19:40:29 EDT 2008

On Jun 22, 9:05 am, bsag... at gmail.com wrote:
> I downloaded Mark Pilgrims's feedparser.py in a zipfile to my Windows
> machine, unzipped it and tried to install it to no avail.
>
> Here is the result =>
>
> C:\>python c:\scripts\feedparser-4.1\setup.py install

The convention is to run setup.py from the current directory, unless
instructed otherwise; what did the package's readme say? Try:

cd \scripts\feedparser-4.1
python setup.py install

> running install
> running build
> running build_py
> file feedparser.py (for module feedparser) not found
> running install_lib
> warning: install_lib: 'build\lib' does not exist -- no Python modules
> to install
> running install_egg_info
> Writing C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\feedparser-4.1-py2.5.egg-info
>
> WTF? The file feedparser.py did exist in the same place as setup.py.
> Even if it works, what exactly does this setup.py do for me? If I just
> manually place feedparser.py in my Python site-packages file it works
> fine.

In general, a setup.py install may do lots of things besides coping 1
file. Manually placing files in site-packages is not a good habit to
get into.

> As for that egg-info file, I googled "python eggs" and now I am
> really confused.

Eggs are part of a new experimental package distribution scheme. Don't
worry about it.

Cheers,
John