My n00bie brain hurts after "Python setup.py install".

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sun Jun 22 12:26:43 EDT 2008

John Machin wrote:
> On Jun 22, 9:05 am, bsag... at gmail.com wrote:
>> I downloaded Mark Pilgrims's feedparser.py in a zipfile to my Windows
>> machine, unzipped it and tried to install it to no avail.

> Eggs are part of a new experimental package distribution scheme. Don't
> worry about it.

    Yes.  "Eggs" are connected to an "easy install" system which has
an annoying tendency to either fail or silently do the wrong thing.
They were an attempt to apply the "packaging" mania of Java to Python.
Fortunately, ".egg" files are actually ".zip" files, so you can
rename them, unpack them, and get at the good parts.

				John Nagle