where do my python files go in linux?

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Sat Jan 12 17:12:22 EST 2008

Hi Jorgen,

-On [20080112 16:14], Jorgen Bodde (jorgen.maillist at gmail.com) wrote:
>I thought about that too. I just wonder why /usr/local/bin is always
>empty and every .deb I install from a source (if it's from Ubuntu or
>not) installs files in /usr/bin .. So I looked further and noticed
>that most python files do reside in /usr/share/{appname}

Well, it always seemed that many Linux distributions had to do things
different from a file/directory hierarchy point of view and I never fully
understood why. It always seemed a bit inspired by NIH-syndrome.
But like I said, whatever works for you.

>I would agree but it is not a site package I am trying to distribute,
>but a wxPython application. I would not think my app belongs in the
>python site packages dir.

Mmm, I guess Python does not have a wonderful solution for this kind of
scenario to be honest. The site-packages solution is one of the cleanest I can
think of.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me...