where do my python files go in linux?

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 16:10:28 EST 2008

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:25:53 -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:13:08 +0100 "Jorgen Bodde"
> <jorgen.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Normally you'd split up the bulk of the code into a module which gets
>> > installed into site-packages and a piece of stand-alone front-end
>> > code which imports the module and executes whatever you need to do
>> > and gets installed into a typical PATH directory.
>> I would agree but it is not a site package I am trying to distribute,
>> but a wxPython application. I would not think my app belongs in the
>> python site packages dir.
>
> I suspect that's because your app is "simple", in that it only has one
> command. Many apps have multiple commands that share the same set of
> libraries. So putting a package for that app in site-packages makes a
> lot of sense.

They should go into their own directory in /usr/local/lib (or whatever).

> If your app-specific library is properly designed and
> documented, users may be able to build further commands for the system
> as well.

Users can still add the /usr/local/lib/whatever to their path path and
use it that way.

I realize it's a fine line and a judgment call in some cases, but site-
packages is really for libraries; applications should use their own
directories.

Carl Banks