The big shots

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Feb 18 22:41:02 EST 2008

castironpi at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm a little dissatisfied, and just thinking aloud.
>
> Some of the ideas that have been proposed on Python-ideas as well as
> Python, have received partial evaluation from the alphas.
>
> Lesser individuals than they could not have invented Python, and would
> be liable to ban me merely for this post.  Notwithstanding.
>
> The reason they have cited is, "It is not in prevalent use."
>
> The printing press, rail, automobiles, and Python, were not in
> prevalent use before their invention.  I.e., they -can't- come if one
> doesn't build it.  However, there were writing, transportation, and
> programming before these respectively; does it merely suffice to
> answer, "Yes it is?"
>
> The Python gurus' combined professional judgement results in Python.
>
> Looking through http://www.python.org/dev/peps/ , their own proposals
> don't meet their own criteria.  Start there.
>
> It is neither necessary nor sufficient that an expansion is or would
> be used.

Well it isn't a democracy, that's true. The "big shots" are the people
who have proven themselves capable not only of *having* good ideas but
also seeing them through into implementation.

I don't believe anyone would argue that Python is the best language for
absolutely every purpose, but it's pretty damned good for most of the
tings I want to do, so I guess I am in favor of letting "the big shots"
continue to ignore half-baked ideas :)

No process is perfect. If you want to change the python development
process you'll have to join the developers.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119