threaded http server

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 20 17:34:09 EST 2008

bharath venkatesh wrote:
> hi,
> will this twisted,turbo gear etc help me to create a http server that
> can serve multiple clients concurrently....

Yes. Google for the projects and do some reading, they are all serving
large web sites with sometimes havy demand.

> and also the http server which i want to create in my project will not
> be doing any IO (it is not like frontend  and backend ).. but it will
> act as a image_proxy_server i.e when a client wants an image  it will do
> a http request to my  http server if the image is present in cache it
> will fetch it directly from cache  and return  it  to the  client as an
> http reponse otherwise  it  fetch from  www  and  store  it cache and
> also return it to the client as an http response so basically i want to
> serve many clients concurrently in fast n efficient manner

Sorry: reading from and writing to the network *is* I/O (the data is
outside the proess, isn't it?).

This might be OK as a learning exercise, but if you just need this in
production as quickly as possible I would imagine some combination of
Squid and Apache would meet your needs very nicely.

> On Feb 20, 2008 5:51 AM, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de
> <mailto:lists at cheimes.de>> wrote:
>
>     bharath venkatesh wrote:
>      > hi
>      >    i want to create fast n efficient http server which serve multiple
>      > client  concurrently .. so i thought of threading the http server
>      using
>
>     Threads ain't efficient for IO bound problems like a HTTP server. Most
>     OSs have far better ways to deal with IO bound applications like
>     select(), poll(), epoll(), kqueue() or IOCP.
>
>     Use Twisted :)

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119