Writing to ms excel

Marin Brkic mbrkic at invalid_mail.adress
Sun Aug 31 12:46:59 EDT 2008

On 31 Aug 2008 04:07:36 GMT, Steven D'Aprano
<steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 05:12:01 +0200, Marin Brkic wrote:
>
>> I remember an older coleague who said; "open, free and whatever licence
>> type ...  software is free, only up to some amount of $$/per hour".
>> After that you just want things to work, and if they don't work, there
>> are people who are paid $/per hour to make it work.
>
>And that applies *exactly* the same to Excel as OpenOffice, except that
>you're not paying the cost for the software and the licences and tracking
>the licences.
>
>If you can find a package that "just works" for writing to Excel, great.
>Otherwise you have to build it yourself. And that's when you have to
>decide whether you want to spend 40 hours of programmer time (less than
>one programmer-week) trying to get write support for Excel in order to
>save two hours of support time for OpenOffice.

Steven, this really is going nowhere. If we continue down this path,
both of us will waste time - for what - fighting for the sake of
fighting. To save further ado, let's just stop the discussion here,
and say, that for some mysterious-out-of-this-world reason, I cannot
use OO alternative.
I agree with some of your points, but sometimes things are not that
simple.

Best regards
Marin