Where to get BeautifulSoup--www.crummy.com appears to be down.

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 12:32:09 EDT 2008

On Apr 24, 10:15 am, Paul Boddie <p... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On 24 Apr, 16:33, Mike Driscoll <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > This is a legitimate issue and one I don't know how to solve. It would
> > be nice to have some kind of verification process, but I'm unaware of
> > anything affordable. If you have any ideas, feel free to express them.
>
> It'd be interesting (perhaps amusing) to adopt the infrastructure of
> one of the GNU/Linux distributions to maintain and distribute packages
> for Windows users. For a while, I've been tempted to experiment with
> cross-compilers and to try and produce Windows executables, but for
> simple Python-only modules, all you'd really need to do to prove the
> concept is to develop the client-side Windows software (eg. apt-get
> for Windows) which downloads package lists, verifies signatures, and
> works out where to put the package contents. Then, you could point
> your client at the appropriate sources and start obtaining the
> packages, knowing that there is some level of authenticity in the
> software you're getting.
>
> Of course, a lot of this could be more easily done with Cygwin, even
> if you disregard Cygwin's own installer, but I imagine that Windows
> users want the "native" experience.
>
> Paul

I do download all my code from either PyPI or the extension
developer's website. And I have experimented with MingW, but I haven't
had a lot of luck with it. Of course, part of my problem is that I'm
using a VM with MingW on it and I really need to just upgrade my dev
box.

Creating a client for this sort of thing does sound cool. Something
else for me to think about anyway...

Mike