Where to get BeautifulSoup--www.crummy.com appears to be down.

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Apr 24 11:15:55 EDT 2008

On 24 Apr, 16:33, Mike Driscoll <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a legitimate issue and one I don't know how to solve. It would
> be nice to have some kind of verification process, but I'm unaware of
> anything affordable. If you have any ideas, feel free to express them.

It'd be interesting (perhaps amusing) to adopt the infrastructure of
one of the GNU/Linux distributions to maintain and distribute packages
for Windows users. For a while, I've been tempted to experiment with
cross-compilers and to try and produce Windows executables, but for
simple Python-only modules, all you'd really need to do to prove the
concept is to develop the client-side Windows software (eg. apt-get
for Windows) which downloads package lists, verifies signatures, and
works out where to put the package contents. Then, you could point
your client at the appropriate sources and start obtaining the
packages, knowing that there is some level of authenticity in the
software you're getting.

Of course, a lot of this could be more easily done with Cygwin, even
if you disregard Cygwin's own installer, but I imagine that Windows
users want the "native" experience.

Paul