Where to get BeautifulSoup--www.crummy.com appears to be down.

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 10:33:14 EDT 2008

On Apr 23, 4:27 pm, John Nagle <na... at animats.com> wrote:
> Tim Golden wrote:
> > John Nagle wrote:

> >>    What on earth do you need a "Windows binary" for?  "BeautifulSoup"
> >> is ONE PYTHON SOURCE FILE, "BeautifulSoup.py".
>
> > Ummm.. Why does it bother you? Mike seems to be offering a public
> > service to Windows users: by downloading the .exe, I can double-click
> > on one file, have the module or package installed (whether it contains
> > one .py file or twenty or a series of compiled extension modules and
> > their respective DLLs) and for a bonus it's registered in the system
> > packages directory [*] and is therefore uninstallable from there.
>
>      Executing strange executables is risky.  One always wonders what
> else they install in addition to what they're supposed be installing.
>
>                                         John Nagle

This is a legitimate issue and one I don't know how to solve. It would
be nice to have some kind of verification process, but I'm unaware of
anything affordable. If you have any ideas, feel free to express them.

I hope to get testimonials from developers or pythoneers eventually.
Suggestions are welcome.

Mike