When does a binary extension gets the file extension '.pyd' and when is it '.so'

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Apr 5 07:23:36 EDT 2008

llothar wrote:

 > I ship an application that compiles an python interpreter and
 > extension on a remote system.
 > It also needs to copy this created items around. So if i use setup.py
 > to create an
 > extension i need  to know the file name of the generated file.

so why not just ask setup.py to copy the files for you?

you can either use "install" with the --home option to copy all the
files to a given directory, or create a binary kit with "bdist" and
unpack the resulting archive at the target location.

 > Unfortunately as pointless as the answers i got so far.

well, cutting the "I'm not going to tell you why I need to know this"
stuff might help people come up with solutions to your actual problem
instead of posting stuff that's informative but misses the point.

</F>