When does a binary extension gets the file extension '.pyd' and when is it '.so'

llothar llothar at web.de
Sat Apr 5 09:00:06 EDT 2008

> Right, so you think people aren't trying to help you?

I think they are not reading the question.

> You display your ignorance here. The ".pyd" extension is used on Windows
> as an alternative to ".dll", but both are recognized as shared
> libraries. Personally I'm not really sure why they even chose to use
> ".pyd", which is confusing to most Windows users.

Here i agree. But having it's own identifiying extension has also some
small benefits.

> To depart from the platform standard would be unhelpful and confusing to
> the majority of users. It's know use telling us what you think: tell us
> instead the compelling reasons why your opinion is correct. Opinions,
> after all, are so cheap that everyone can have one.

Because i want a uniform solution. Either use "dllso" or use "pyd"
but
stay with one decision once made. At the moment when i build python on
my ubuntu system without "--enable-shared" i get a pyd file created,
if
i use "--enable-shared" it is a so file.

I don't know if this is a special case on Linux or the general on unix
systems
(i only have Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris and MacOSX  in
mind).

> There are ways to build distributions of Python extensions (modules or
> packages involving binary code from languages like C or C++), but you
> will want to understand a bit more about computing in general

Believe me nobody needs to teach me anything about general programming
anymore.

> (and work on your social skills ;-)

I don't think so. I asked a pretty simple question and as usual on
usenet nobody
read the question but answered to complete different topics. Answers
on usenet are
so cheap, everybody likes to give one - no matter if it is ontopic,
right or wrong.
And this does not really help.

My question is simple and person who knows setup.py and distools would
be able to
give the answer in a small sentence if there is a strategy behind it
and it's not
only a bug.

Unfortunately there is no python.core mailing list that i know so i
ask here.