When does a binary extension gets the file extension '.pyd' and when is it '.so'

llothar llothar at web.de
Sat Apr 5 05:39:57 EDT 2008

On 5 Apr., 15:48, Fredrik Lundh <fred... at pythonware.com> wrote:
> llothar wrote:
> > My question was: Why does setup.py generated sometimes a pyd and
> > sometimes a so file?
>
> setup.py picks an extension that happens to work on the platform you're
> running setup.py on.  doing otherwise would be pretty pointless.
>
> </F>

Unfortunately as pointless as the answers i got so far.

Okay i try it one more time:

I ship an application that compiles an python interpreter and
extension on a remote system.
It also needs to copy this created items around. So if i use setup.py
to create an
extension i need  to know the file name of the generated file.

Damned this is trivial and a fundamental question and it is not
documented anywhere.

I have a clue at the moment that it might be ".so" when python is
compiled without shared library
and ".pyd" otherwise (configure option --enable-shared) . But this is
just a guess. Does anybody know?

And by the way: I think this is a bug and should be fixed. If the
platform does allow renaming the
extension of a DLL (does HP/UX allow this?) it should always be
".pyd"