Building sparc64 32/64-bit Python

Stefan Bellon sbellon at sbellon.de
Mon Oct 22 11:09:07 EDT 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct, Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> Stefan Bellon wrote:

> > I can successfully build a 32-bit version in one directory and a
> > 64-bit version in another directory. What I'd like to do is to
> > build a version that has the 64-bit library in a sparcv9 directory
> > but shares the other Python libraries that are ELF-code independent.
> >
> > Is this possible or do I really have to install two complete but
> > separate Pythons although most of the files are the same?
>
> It should be possible to create a independent site-packages directory
> that contains the python-library and then tinker with both
> installations setting that directory as part of the python-path (look
> at *pth-files in the site-packages directory to get an idea how that
> works)

Well, I didn't want to to tinker with installation files. I hoped that
there was a way to configure it accordingly.

> Another question is if that's advisable. It certainly won't become
> part of the standard installation scripts, and in the end you save
> how much - 8MB or so?

I thought it would be a "more correct" way of installing it. GCC (and
others) install their libraries in prefix/lib and prefix/lib/sparcv9 as
well without needing two separate installations, therefore I was
wondering whether the same can be achieved with Python.

But if this is not possible, then I'll just go for python and python64
as separated installations.

--
Stefan Bellon