Building sparc64 32/64-bit Python

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Oct 22 11:02:08 EDT 2007

Stefan Bellon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build a Sun Solaris Version of Python from the source so
> that both, 32-bit and 64-bit libraries are present.
>
> I can successfully build a 32-bit version in one directory and a 64-bit
> version in another directory. What I'd like to do is to build a version
> that has the 64-bit library in a sparcv9 directory but shares the other
> Python libraries that are ELF-code independent.
>
> Is this possible or do I really have to install two complete but
> separate Pythons although most of the files are the same?

It should be possible to create a independent site-packages directory that
contains the python-library and then tinker with both installations setting
that directory as part of the python-path (look at *pth-files in the
site-packages directory to get an idea how that works)

Another question is if that's advisable. It certainly won't become part of
the standard installation scripts, and in the end you save how much - 8MB
or so?

Diez