Using python as primary language

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 16:39:02 EST 2007

On Nov 13, 1:47 pm, "Russell E. Owen" <ro... at cesmail.net> wrote:
> In article <1194508354.226023.232... at v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>  Michel Albert <exh... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > In our company we are looking for one language to be used as default
> > language. So far Python looks like a good choice (slacking behind
> > Java). A few requirements that the language should be able cope with
> > are:
>
> > * Database access to Sybase.
> >   This seems to be available for python, but the windows-binaries for
> > the library
> >   are not available. Self-Compiling them proved to be non-trivial (As
> > always
> >   on windows).
> > * Easy GUI creation.
> >   Solved using PyQt.
> > * Cross Platform (Linux + Windows).
> >   Again, PyQt, solves this
> > * Easy deployment.
> >   Solved using py2exe + innosetup
>
> How do you deploy python on linux? The only solution I know of is
> pyinstaller and I never could get it to work for me on linux (I never
> bothered to try on Windows since I already had py2exe doing what I
> needed).

The wxPython users seem to create RPMs and Debs. (http://
www.wxpython.org/download.php)

You might find these articles interesting as well:

http://docs.python.org/dist/dist.html
http://www.linux.com/feature/118439
http://docs.python.org/dist/creating-rpms.html

> In my opinion this is one of Python's few weaknesses compared to Java.
> Others that come to mind are:
> - Lack of a built-in networking library that works with GUI toolkits
> (use Twisted Framework and hope it continues to be supported)
> - Lack of a good built-in GUI toolkit (but there are several good
> alternatives including Qt)
>
> > * Charting (Histograms, Line charts, bar charts, pie charts, ...)
> >   I am currently looking into PyQwt, which looks promising.

The wxPython user's group mentions charting quite a bit. I think they
use matplotlib among others. You might contact them for suggestions as
well.

Mike