Python Extension Building Network

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 11:30:03 EST 2007

On Nov 9, 10:02 am, Tim Golden <m... at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> kyoso... at gmail.com wrote:
> > The hardest part was finding accurate information. Most people on the
> > user groups have been unhelpful or sarcastic.
>
> That's a shame to hear. Because you were building on Windows?
> Or for some other reason? (I ask because, even here on the
> Python lists, reactions like "Get a working O/S" are not unknown
> in answer to questions like "How do I... on Windows?")

I don't think it was because of Windows, but because I was asking
about how to use Visual Studio. I've had classes in it, but intro
classes in Comp Sci don't teach you how to compile. One of the people
on this list told me to go read Microsoft's docs.

Well, those docs are uniformly unhelpful until you actually know what
you're doing. And they were useless since the actual way to use the
compiler was to use the python command:

python setup.py bdist_wininst

Which of course won't be found in any docs produced from the venerable
Microsoft.

> > The directions for MinGW were usually only partially correct.
>
> The gripe I've had MingW -- which is obviously tempered by the
> fact of its existence and the huge amount of effort which has
> gone into it -- is the difficulty of finding a version of all
> the tools which pleases everyone. And/or of knowing whether it's
> safe to mix "Stable", "Candidate" etc. release packages.
>
> TJG

I used Candidate. At some point, I'll have to try uninstalling MinGW
and try Stable. Mixing them sounds interesting too.

I'm no expert in either one yet, but I hope to be soon.

Mike