Python Extension Building Network

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Nov 9 18:26:47 EST 2007

kyosohma at gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 9, 8:36 am, Tim Golden <m... at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
>> kyoso... at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am trying to get a small group of volunteers together to create
>>> Windows binaries for any Python extension developer that needs them,
>>> much like the package/extension builders who volunteer their time to
>>> create Linux RPMs.

Are you aware of the repository that ActiveState created for
its version of Python (ActivePython) ? It comes with a
set of pre-compiled Python extensions (PPMs) and an easy
to use installer.

Perhaps getting ActiveState to open up the repo would be good
idea - something like Ubuntu does with the universe repo.

>>> The main thing I need are people willing to test the binaries to make
>>> sure the extension is stable. This would require installing the binary
>>> and probably downloading the source too to get the developer's test
>>> code. I've been able to get some of the tests to run great while
>>> others are pretty finicky and some extensions don't come with tests.
>>> It would be nice to know which extensions are most in need of this
>>> too.
>>> While I can create the binaries on my own for a while, if I get too
>>> many requests, there will be a backlog, so it would be nice to have
>>> help with that too. I'm also looking for knowledgeable people to be
>>> sounding boards (i.e. give advice).
>>> Developers: all I would require is a request, a link to the source,
>>> and a well-written setup.py file for a cross-platform extension.
>>> You can find the few that I've already done here:http://
>>> www.pythonlibrary.org/python_modules.htm
>>> I have also posted a way to create the binaries using the MinGW
>>> compiler. I have VS2003 installed on my PC and MinGW is installed in a
>>> VM, so I can compile the extensions both ways.
>> Mike, this is great news. Whenever I have time <laughs, but
>> means it sincerely> I'll try to run through some of the modules
>> you've compiled.
>>
>> As a slight aside, the main problem I've found when I've tried
>> to build extensions (and I've been doing it recently with AVBin and
>> Pyglet) is that Windows just doesn't have the build environment, the
>> directory structures, the env vars and all that that a ./configure or
>> even a python setup.py install sometimes expects. eg if I were to
>> offer to build a MySQL extension (as someone who doesn't use MySQL
>> and wouldn't have the source libs installed if I did) there would
>> be a fair bit of pain to go through. You've obviously gone through
>> that pain barrier for at least some of the extensions on the modules
>> page. Was it tough?
>
> The hardest part was finding accurate information. Most people on the
> user groups have been unhelpful or sarcastic. I had better luck
> contacting developers directly who had already created Windows
> binaries. They didn't mind giving me some pointers.

Interesting: Python seems to be "growing up" in all kinds of
ways ...

> The directions for MinGW were usually only partially correct. So I
> went through the two sets of directions I found (links on the site)
> and mixed and matched until I got it right.
>
> There are no directions on how to use Visual Studio 2003 that I've
> found, just some old free edition. those directions were incompatible
> with VS2003. I'll post VS2003's correct usage eventually, but it's
> basically just installing it and then using distutils.

Getting VS2003 ready to compile Python extensions is really easy:

1. open a command shell
2. run vcvars32.bat
3. make sure the Python version you are targetting is on the
   PATH
4. "python setup.py bdist_wininst" or "python setup.py bdist_msi"
5. pick up the installer in the build\ directory.

Note: bdist_msi is only available in Python 2.5 and later.

You need VC6 if you want to compile extensions for Python 1.5-2.3
and VC7.1 for Python 2.4 and later.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 09 2007)