python at command prompt

Ton van Vliet sheep.in.herd at green.meadow
Fri Nov 2 02:45:09 EDT 2007

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 09:17:00 -0700, c3950ig at hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>I am python newbie and the command prompt is having an issue with
>python. I installed python 2.4.4 onto my windows machine, opened a
>command prompt window, and typed python to start the interactive mode.
>Got the following error.
>
>D:\>python
>'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>operable program or batch file.
>
>The following programs work fine
>IDLE (Python GUI)
>Python (command line)
>PythonWin
>
>For some strange reason, python is not recognized at the command
>prompt.
>Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?
>thanks,

There's could also be an issue with entering 'python' at the command
line, and not 'python.exe'. Once the PATH is setup correctly, try to
enter 'python.exe', and check whether that works.

IMHO, to get any 'program-name' (without the .exe extension) to work,
one needs to:
1. register the executable with windows (doesn't work for python) or
2. make sure the the PATHEXT environment variable is set correctly,
and includes the .EXE extension (on my w2k system it looks like:
.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH)

--
Ton