Using Python To Change The World :)

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Wed Nov 14 05:01:40 EST 2007

 dominiquevalentine at gmail.com wrote:

> Hello, I'm a teen trying to do my part in improving the world, and me
> and my pal came up with some concepts to improve the transportation
> system.
>
> I have googled up and down for examples of using python to create a
> city street but I can not find any.
>
> my objective is to replicate a section of los angeles using python,
> and program the street lights and cars and whatnot. Should I be
> looking towards 3D to do this?
>
> so here is MY question:
> how would you replicate a street intersection in python? and
> furthermore, how would you do you have the cars move up and down those
> "streets".
>
> my question to YOU is:
> can you point me in the right direction? I will search on my own, but
> I would greatly appreciate any help :)
>
> and if anyone is interested in learning more about this project (we've
> got some nifty things planned), or if you wanna help, give a shout ;]

It's hard to tell you what to do with so sparse information about what you
try to accomplish in the end.

Of course if you want to have more or less realistic imaging for whatever
purpose, 3D is the way to go. If you are after traffic-simulations, it's
unneeded complexity.

Regarding the "moving cars": you can also go from simply defining paths cars
can take and parametrize these to full-blown physics - depending on what
you want.

Diez