A few questions

Anthony Irwin nospam at noemailhere.nowhere
Mon May 21 00:37:33 EDT 2007

jay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm totally new to Python and was hoping someone might be able to answer
> a few questions for me:
>
> 1.  What are your views about Python vs Perl?  Do you see one as better
> than the other?

I have written some scripts in both perl and python and to me python
feels more like a modern programming language then perl does.

As I am learning both languages I can also say that I was writing
useful python code as I was learning python but had to do more reading
with perl to write similar levels of code but maybe thats just me.

> 3.  Currently, I write most of my code with Xcode (on the Mac platform)
> using Applescript.  This gives me GUI capabilities.  Is there anything
> you'd recommend that I could use for Python that would give me a GUI
> interface?  I'd like this to be able to work for both the Mac and
> Windows platforms.  I've been reading a little about 'Claro Graphics
> Toolkit' and 'PyGUI'... would you recommend either of those?  I'll be
> writing code on a Mac so I need something that will run on that system.

I have used wxpython and did the tutorial listed in their wiki and ran
it on linux and mac and they looked like native applications in both
and the same is meant to happen in windows but I don't have windows so
have not tried it myself.

To do this on the mac I installed the universal python 2.4 from the
python site and the wxpython mac install and just double clicked a
python file with a .pyw and it executed like a normal app. Originally
I had a .py file extension but that does not execute the python script.

--
Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin

http://www.irwinresources.com