A few questions

Dave Baum Dave.Baum at motorola.com
Mon May 21 11:46:17 EDT 2007

In article <mailman.7945.1179719534.32031.python-list at python.org>,
 jay <jyoung79 at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm totally new to Python and was hoping someone might be able to
> answer a few questions for me:
>
> 1.  What are your views about Python vs Perl?  Do you see one as
> better than the other?

I introduced Python into my group at work and it has for the most part
supplanted Perl.  For short scripts Python tends to be a lot more
readable than Perl.  Python also scales better, allowing us to tackle
some larger projects with Python than we would have attempted with Perl.

However, a lot of this depends on your current skill with the languages
and the kind of project you will be working on.  A Perl guru is going to
be more productive with Perl than with Python.  Text processing programs
are likely to be more concise in Perl than Python.  However, as a
general purpose programming language I think Python is an excellent
choice.

> 2.  Is there a good book to start with while learning Python?  I'm
> currently reading 'Python Essential Reference' by David M. Beazley.
> So far it looks like a pretty good book, but would like more
> tutorials to work with (I've also been reading through the tutorials
> at 'python.org' which has some excellent stuff!).

"Learning Python" is a good book for getting started, although it is a
bit dated by now.  It might not be quite what you are looking for with
respect to tutorials, so I'd recommend looking at a copy before buying
it.

> 3.  Currently, I write most of my code with Xcode (on the Mac
> platform) using Applescript.  This gives me GUI capabilities.  Is
> there anything you'd recommend that I could use for Python that would
> give me a GUI interface?  I'd like this to be able to work for both
> the Mac and Windows platforms.  I've been reading a little about
> 'Claro Graphics Toolkit' and 'PyGUI'... would you recommend either of
> those?  I'll be writing code on a Mac so I need something that will
> run on that system.

Tkinter is the easiest way to get started with Python GUI programming
because it is part of the default python distribution.  However, I
prefer wxPython for GUI development.  You'll have to install a few extra
pieces, but in the end wxPython does a better job of being "pythonic"
for the programmer, and resulting in native look and feel for the user.
"wxPython in Action" is an excellent book for learning about wxPython.

Dave