Specification for win32com.client package

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed May 9 09:03:07 EDT 2007

On May 8, 7:34 am, Tim Golden <m... at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> Peter Fischer wrote:
> > Hello Tim,
>
> > thank you for your answer and sorry for the multiple e-mails. Thank you also for
> > the hint on the book. I already read into it in our local library. Its good, but a
> > little outdated (Jan. 2000) as I mentioned in
>
> >http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2007-May/438800.html
>
> Ah, yes. Didn't spot that. Although the book is outdated,
> so is COM! It's been around in pretty much its present
> format for wasily as long as that.
>
> > Do you know, whether something has changed, since the book was written, in
> > the use of the dcomcnfg tool?
>
> I wouldn't know, but I doubt it; it looks pretty
> old-fashioned to me. Worth checking some microsoft newsgroups.
>
> > I am not clear what steps are necessary under today's WinXP Professional
> > to get DCOM run. But it is said that it shouldn't be difficult.
>
> Certainly I've got no problem running simple stuff. My main
> area of expertise - WMI - uses it under the covers and it
> only gives me problems when there's security involved.
>
> > One short question back to the documentation: I read that 'makepy' could be
> > helpful to generate documentation to the package?
>
> AFAIK, makepy's got nothing to do with the pywin32 docs. It
> can be used to generate a proxy Python module for an
> existing COM package, eg:
>
> <code>
> from win32com.client import gencache
> xl = gencache.EnsureDispatch ("Excel.Application")
>
> #
> # Behind the scenes this has called makepy to generate
> # a module which on my machine is under
> # c:\python24\lib\site-packages\win32com\gen_py
> #
>
> help (xl.__class__)
>
> </code>
>
> Sorry I can't be more help. I know Mark Hammond follows
> the python-win32 list; I don't know if he follows the
> main Python list, so it might be worth posting to
> python-win32.
>
> TJG

The win32com module seems to get short shrift, which I could say about
a lot of the win32 modules and other 3rd party modules in general.
However, I have found the following pages helpful for Python and COM:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.4/pywin32/html/com/win32com/HTML/docindex.html
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.4/pywin32/html/win32/help/process_info.html#pythoncom

And this is good for just general info on win32:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.4/pywin32/win32_modules.html

The wiki idea sounds like a good one. I was thinking about doing some
kind of Python site about the modules and I think the popular 3rd
party ones would be a good place to start, maybe starting with win32.
How much information do you think would need to be on a site like this
to start out with?

Mike