Specification for win32com.client package

Peter Fischer peter_7003 at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 08:16:38 EDT 2007

Hello Tim,

thank you for your answer and sorry for the multiple e-mails. Thank you also for
the hint on the book. I already read into it in our local library. Its good, but a
little outdated (Jan. 2000) as I mentioned in

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2007-May/438800.html

Do you know, whether something has changed, since the book was written, in
the use of the dcomcnfg tool? I heard that DCOM is included in COM since some
time. I am not clear what steps are necessary under today's WinXP Professional
to get DCOM run. But it is said that it shouldn't be difficult. However, I yet didn't
manage to get it run. If you could give me a hint that would be helpful.
One short question back to the documentation: I read that 'makepy' could be
helpful to generate documentation to the package?

Okay, thank you again so much for your great help so far,

best regards,

Peter.

Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote: Peter Fischer wrote:
> Hello, (sorry, the first message bounced; because it is urgent and I wait since
> yesterday, here it's again):
>

>       I am searching for documentation about the interface the win32com package
> provides, especially win32com.client. I searched the web and Mark Hammond’s
> homepage but only found example code using Dispatch() and DispatchEx() etc.
> Isn’t there a full list of the functions win32.com.client provides? Or do I have to
> use makepy to somehow generate documentation (how)?
>   I would be thankful if someone could give me a hook about that.
>
> Best regards,    Peter.

I'm afraid you're pretty much out of luck on full
documentation, Peter. Mark Hammond & Andy Robinson's
book (of several years ago) is still being published:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1565926218?v=glance

and certainly contains quite a bit of information on
the subject.

The .chm which comes with the pywin32 extensions has
some information (although not much). Examples from
the python-win32 list and this mailing list plus
examples from around the web, plus finally the source
code itself are pretty much staple fare for people
working in the Win32 area under Python.

Obviously, what it needs is someone or someones with
the energy to get that Python Win32 wiki underway, but
at the moment all my energies are devoted elsewhere,
I'm afraid.

TJG