Specification for win32com.client package

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue May 8 08:34:54 EDT 2007

Peter Fischer wrote:
> Hello Tim,
>
> thank you for your answer and sorry for the multiple e-mails. Thank you also for
> the hint on the book. I already read into it in our local library. Its good, but a
> little outdated (Jan. 2000) as I mentioned in
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2007-May/438800.html

Ah, yes. Didn't spot that. Although the book is outdated,
so is COM! It's been around in pretty much its present
format for wasily as long as that.

> Do you know, whether something has changed, since the book was written, in
> the use of the dcomcnfg tool?

I wouldn't know, but I doubt it; it looks pretty
old-fashioned to me. Worth checking some microsoft newsgroups.

> I am not clear what steps are necessary under today's WinXP Professional
> to get DCOM run. But it is said that it shouldn't be difficult.

Certainly I've got no problem running simple stuff. My main
area of expertise - WMI - uses it under the covers and it
only gives me problems when there's security involved.

> One short question back to the documentation: I read that 'makepy' could be
> helpful to generate documentation to the package?

AFAIK, makepy's got nothing to do with the pywin32 docs. It
can be used to generate a proxy Python module for an
existing COM package, eg:

<code>
from win32com.client import gencache
xl = gencache.EnsureDispatch ("Excel.Application")

#
# Behind the scenes this has called makepy to generate
# a module which on my machine is under
# c:\python24\lib\site-packages\win32com\gen_py
#

help (xl.__class__)

</code>

Sorry I can't be more help. I know Mark Hammond follows
the python-win32 list; I don't know if he follows the
main Python list, so it might be worth posting to
python-win32.

TJG