PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Thu May 17 02:33:28 EDT 2007

"Gregor Horvath" <gh at gr...th.com> wrote:

> Hendrik van Rooyen schrieb:
>
> > It is not so much for technical reasons as for aesthetic
> > ones - I find reading a mix of languages horrible, and I am
> > kind of surprised by the strength of my own reaction.
>
> This is a matter of taste.

I agree - and about perceptions of quality. Of what is good,
and not good. - If you havent yet, read Robert Pfirsig's book:
"Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"

> In some programs I use German identifiers (not unicode). I and others
> like the mix. My customers can understand the code better. (They are
> only reading it)

I can sympathise a little bit with a customer who tries to read code.
Why that should be necessary, I cannot understand - does the stuff
not work to the extent that the customer feels he has to help you?
You do not talk as if you are incompetent, so I see no reason why
the customer should want to meddle in what you have written, unless
he is paying you to train him to program, and as Eric Brunel has
pointed out, this mixing of languages is all right in a training environment.

> > "Beautiful is better than ugly"
>
> Correct.
> But why do you think you should enforce your taste to all of us?

You misjudge me - the OP asked if I would use the feature, and I am
speaking for myself when I explain why I would not use it.

> With this logic you should all drive Alfa Romeos!

Actually no - this is not about logic - my post clearly stated
that I was talking about feelings.  And the only logic that applies
to feelings is the incontrovertible fact that they exist, and that it
makes good logical sense to acknowledge them, and to take that
into account in one's actions.

And as far as Alfa's go - we have found here that they are rather
soft - our dirt roads destroy them in no time.  : - (

- Hendrik