PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Wed May 16 08:54:23 EDT 2007

On May 13, 11:44 am, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> (snipped)
>
> So, please provide feedback, e.g. perhaps by answering these
> questions:
> - should non-ASCII identifiers be supported? why?

Initially I was on -1 but from this thread it seems that many closed
(or semi-closed) environments would benefit from such a change. I'm
still concerned though about the segregation this feature encourages.
In my (admittedly limited) experience on non-english-speaking
environments, everyone used to have some basic command of english and
was encouraged to use proper english identifiers; OTOH, the hodgepodge
of english keywords/stdlib/3rd party symbols with transliterated to
ascii application identifiers was being looked down as clumsy and in
fact less readable.

Bottom line, -0.

> - would you use them if it was possible to do so? in what cases?

No, and I would refuse to maintain code that did use them*.

George

* Unless I start teaching programming to preschoolers or something.