PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Gregor Horvath gh at gregor-horvath.com
Thu May 17 04:07:04 EDT 2007

Hendrik van Rooyen schrieb:

> I can sympathise a little bit with a customer who tries to read code.
> Why that should be necessary, I cannot understand - does the stuff
> not work to the extent that the customer feels he has to help you?
> You do not talk as if you are incompetent, so I see no reason why
> the customer should want to meddle in what you have written, unless
> he is paying you to train him to program, and as Eric Brunel has
> pointed out, this mixing of languages is all right in a training environment.

That is highly domain and customer specific individual logic, that the
costumer knows best. (For example variation logic of window and door
manufacturers)
He has to understand the code, so that he can verify it's correct.
We are in fact developing it together.
Some costumers even are coding this logic themselves. Some of them are
not fluent in English especially not in the computer domain.

Translating the logic into a documentation is a waste of time if the
code is self documenting and easy to grasp. (As python usually is) But
the code can only be self documenting if it is written in the domain
specific language of the customer. Sometimes these are words that are
not even used in general German. Even in German different customers are
naming the same thing with different words. Talking and coding in the
language of the customer is a huge benefit.

Gregor