My Python annoyances

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri May 4 00:27:16 EDT 2007

En Thu, 03 May 2007 10:49:26 -0300, Ben Collver <collver at peak.org>
escribió:

> I tried to write portable Python code.  The zlib CRC function returned
> different results on architectures between 32 bit and 64 bit
> architectures.  I filed a bug report.  It was closed, without a comment
> from the person who closed it.  I get the unspoken message: bug reports
> are not welcome.

You got a comment from me, that you never disputed nor commented further.
I would have changed the status to "invalid" myself, if I were able to do
so.

> I installed Cygwin on a Windows machine.  I try to quit from an
> interactive Python session.  It tells me that on my platform, I must
> press Control-Z to exit.  I press Control-Z and it makes Python a
> background process.

Maybe because you were running Windows Python from inside a bash prompt?
The Cygwin version tells you to use the right key combination to exit.

> In short, there is plenty of room for improvement.  Admittedly these are
> not problems with the language definition.  But I downloaded a Python
> distribution, and the problems are Python specific.

Yes, some documentation is a bit outdated as Python is evolving
continuously. I prefer that, to a frozen language.

--
Gabriel Genellina