My Python annoyances

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu May 3 16:18:03 EDT 2007

"Ben Collver" <collver at peak.org> wrote in message
news:FbadnQTrwMX6daTbnZ2dnUVZ_segnZ2d at scnresearch.com...
|I rewrote my code in Python and I found myself running into many of the
| same hassles that I run into with other languages: inaccurate and
| incomplete documentation, a maze of little platform-specific quirks to
| work around in the base classes, and a macho community of users.

Including you.

| I tried to write portable Python code.  The zlib CRC function returned
| different results on architectures between 32 bit and 64 bit
| architectures.  I filed a bug report.  It was closed, without a comment
| from the person who closed it.

Misleading and untrue.  Here is the link you omitted
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1678102&group_id=5470&atid=105470

www.python.org/sf/1678102

Three days after you posted, 'gagenellina' explained that he thought your
complaint was invalid.
"py> -531560245 & 0xffffffff
3763407051L

It's the same number (actually, the same bit pattern). ..."

A few weeks later, noticing that you had not challenged his explanation, I
closed after changing the Resolution box to Invalid.  THAT WAS MY COMMENT.

A month later, I notice that you still have not directly challenged G's
claim of invalidity.  Instead, you ignored it and simply repeated your
claim here.  WHO IS IGNORING WHO?

|  I get the unspoken message: bug reports are not welcome.

Giving the shortage of reviewer time, invalid bug reports on tracker are a
nuisance and a diversion from attending to valid reports and reviewing
patches.  That is why I encourage people to post here for community review.

Real bug reports are quite welcome, as any honest person could determine by
looking thru the tracker.

Terry Jan Reedy