My Python annoyances

Ben Collver collver at peak.org
Fri May 4 09:36:05 EDT 2007

Terry Reedy wrote:
> Three days after you posted, 'gagenellina' explained that he thought your
> complaint was invalid.
> "py> -531560245 & 0xffffffff
> 3763407051L
>
> It's the same number (actually, the same bit pattern). ..."
>
> A few weeks later, noticing that you had not challenged his explanation, I
> closed after changing the Resolution box to Invalid.  THAT WAS MY COMMENT.
>
> A month later, I notice that you still have not directly challenged G's
> claim of invalidity.  Instead, you ignored it and simply repeated your
> claim here.  WHO IS IGNORING WHO?
> Real bug reports are quite welcome, as any honest person could determine by
> looking thru the tracker.

Hi Terry,

I understand and agree that the number was the same bit pattern.  I
don't remember being asked to challenge this.  I must have missed the
status change notification.

I do wonder whether the diagnosis is accurate: is the sparc64 port
actually using an unsigned int where the i386 port is using a signed int?

Either way, I don't see how it reflects on the validity of the report.
I reported that the resulting numbers were different.  To me that seems
a trap for the unwary.

All I saw was a comment on what might cause my problem, and then I saw
that the problem report was closed.  Now I am told that I didn't even
file a real bug report.  I don't know whether to take that as "this is a
trivial problem not worth reporting" or "this is a poorly filed bug report".

I am an honest person, honestly!

Ben