need help with python

Paul McGuire ptmcg at austin.rr.com
Sun May 13 12:48:46 EDT 2007

On May 13, 10:10 am, adamur... at hotmail.com wrote:
> On May 12, 11:55 am, BartlebyScrivener <bscrivene... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm not sure how you installed Python, or how you are using it, but I
> > made something last year to help Windows XP users who are brand new to
> > Python and can't get things to run, etc.
>
> > You might try either jumping into somewhere midway, or if you keep
> > having trouble, uninstall whatever you installed and start over using
> > this:
>
> >http://www.richarddooling.com/index.php/2006/03/14/python-on-xp-7-min...
>
> > If that link breaks, use this:
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/w7wgp
>
> > Good luck.
>
> > rd
>
> That is one of my problems, I don't know exactly how the whole command
> line thing works.  The other day, I got it to open python by itself,
> but I accidentally closed the window and couldn't get it to work
> again.  I know how to do file paths and stuff but I'm not sure what to
> put directly after it says C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner>.  Do I
> leave it like that and then put the next location in the line?  Like
> this:
> C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner> Python 2.5.1\Python area.py
> Or is that wrong.  I've already uninstalled and reinstalled because I
> couldn't copy and paste it to another location, so I just reinstalled
> it to HP_Owner.  I'll try that link.
> Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

cd <new directory>

will change your current directory to <new directory>.  Type "help"
after the "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner>" (which is called the
'prompt') to get a summarized list of commands, or "help <command>" to
get help on that particular command.  For instance try typing this at
the command line prompt:

help cd

and you'll get a lot more info on the cd command.

It sounds like a Windows tutorial would not be wasted time for you,
especially one that helps with the whole command line thing.  You'll
learn about files, directories, deleting, renaming, and so on.

-- Paul