need help with python

adamurbas at hotmail.com adamurbas at hotmail.com
Fri May 11 22:41:47 EDT 2007

On May 11, 9:34 pm, Paul McGuire <p... at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> On May 11, 8:47 pm, adamur... at hotmail.com wrote:
>

> > ya so im pretty much a newb to this whole python thing... its pretty
> > cool but i just started today and im already having trouble.  i
> > started to use a tutorial that i found somewhere and i followed the
> > instructions and couldnt get the correct results.  heres the code
> > stuff...
>
> > temperature=input("what is the temperature of the spam?")
> > if temperature>50:
> >         print "the salad is properly cooked."
> > else:
> >         print "cook the salad some more."
>
> > ya i was trying to do that but when i told it what the spams
> > temperature was, it just turned off... well it wasnt working at all at
> > first until i realized that i hadnt been following the instructions
> > completely correctly and that i was supposed to type that code up in a
> > notepad then save and open with python... so ya thats when it asked me
> > what temperature the spam was and i typed a number then it just closed
> > itself... im not really sure what went wrong... itd be real nice if
> > someone would be like a mentor or something...
>
> Well, this list has a varying level of mentoring and newbie-tolerance,
> with more latitude for people who have made some effort to start with
> before posting things like "here's my homework problem, please send me
> the working code so I can hand it in."
>
> I just ran your code interactively at the Python prompt, and it runs
> just fine.  See?

> what is the temperature of the spam?55>>> if temperature>50:
>
> ...         print "the salad is properly cooked."
> ... else:
> ...         print "the salad is properly cooked."
> the salad is properly cooked.
>
> I think the problem you are having is that, when you run your program
> by double-clicking on the xyz.py file in a file browser, the OS
> (Windows, I assume?) opens a separate console window, and runs the
> program, and then at the end of the program, CLOSES the window.  I
> think your code is running just fine, I think your "the salad is
> whatever" messages get printed out, but afterward, your program ends,
> so the window closes before you can see how your salad turned out.
>
> A simple workaround you can do is to add to the end of your program
> this statement:
>
> input("<press return to end program>")
>
> This will cause the process to stop and wait for you to press the
> RETURN key, giving you time to stop and admire your salad results
> before closing the window.
>
> One final note: many people post in a "write like I talk" style.  This
> is okay while telling your story ("well it wasn't working at all at
> first..."), and the ee cummings all-lower-case is passable, but please
> drop the "ya"s.  They are a verbal tic that may be okay in person, but
> do not translate at all to written posts.  At least you don't say
> "like" every other word, and I thank you for that! :)

> [...]

well... i just discovered another of my mistakes.  i was writing it in
notepad and not saving it as .py  silly me... hoho ya that input thing
to get it to make u press enter worked tho... but only with that
one... ive got another one that i cant get to work even with the input
message to press enter.  Sorry about the bad grammar.  I'm used to
Myspace where no one gives a particular hoot about how you type.  I
hope this is better.  I will follow that link though.  Thanks for the
help.