Python GUI + OpenGL

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Mar 5 11:38:39 EST 2007

Dag wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:30:34 +0100, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de>
> wrote:
>> Achim Domma wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm developing a GUI app in Python/C++ to visualize numerical results.
>>> Currently I'm using Python 2.4 with wx and PyOpenGLContext, but there
>>> are no windows binaries for Python 2.5 for quite some time now.
>>>
>>> I need a OpenGL context without restrictions and some settings dialogs.
>>> Is wx + PyOpenGL the way to go? Or could somebody recommend a better set
>>> of tools/libs?
>>
>> PyQt, but then there is the licensing question of course.
>
> I'm facing a similar problem.  Would you care to explain why PyQt is
> better in this particular case.  I've used both PyQt and wx for 'normal'
> GUI programming (but I'm more familiar with wx) so I know about their
> difference in general.  But why is PyQt better than wx for working with
> OpenGL?

I didn't say so. I just pointed out an alternative, as the OP had issues
with obtaining binary packages for wx + py2.5

Beside that, I do love the Qt library and would always use it in preference
to wx, but this is a general thing and by no means tied to the
OpenGL-programming. After all, that actually is done using PyOpenGL

Diez