Python GUI + OpenGL

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 12:22:00 EST 2007

On 3/5/07, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> Dag wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:30:34 +0100, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de>
> > wrote:

> >> PyQt, but then there is the licensing question of course.
> >
> > I'm facing a similar problem.  Would you care to explain why PyQt is
> > better in this particular case.  I've used both PyQt and wx for 'normal'
> > GUI programming (but I'm more familiar with wx) so I know about their
> > difference in general.  But why is PyQt better than wx for working with
> > OpenGL?
>
> I didn't say so. I just pointed out an alternative, as the OP had issues
> with obtaining binary packages for wx + py2.5

I believe he was having trouble with binary packages for PyOpenGL,
wxPython has 2.5 binaries and has since it was released.

That said, it's my understanding that the most recent version of
PyOpenGL uses ctypes and no longer requires a windows binary, which is
why they are not provided.

Also, if you're writing a C++/Python app on Windows then you must have
the correct environment to build Python extensions, so even if my
understanding is incorrect, you should be able to build PyOpenGL via
distutils with minimal if any trouble.

> Beside that, I do love the Qt library and would always use it in preference
> to wx, but this is a general thing and by no means tied to the
> OpenGL-programming. After all, that actually is done using PyOpenGL

wx and Qt support OpenGL in essentially the same manner. I believe he
took from your earlier post that Qt had its own built in OpenGL
wrapper (and thus didn't rely on PyOpenGL) but to my knowledge that is
not correct.