why brackets & commas in func calls can't be ommited? (maybe it could be PEP?)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Mar 22 14:20:42 EDT 2007

Bart Willems wrote:
> dmitrey wrote:
>> 1st still is shorter by 1 char; considering majority of people use
>> space after comma & number of parameters can be big it yileds
>> foo bar baz bar2 bar3 bar4
>> vs
>> foo(bar, baz, bar2, bar3, bar4)
>
> I think most readers already agree on the ambiguities part. Now, for the
> length of the code...
> I agree that in you example the first syntax yields a full /five/ spaces
> less than the second syntax. However, it ignores the fact that if you
> are creating functions with that many arguments, you are probably doing
> something wrong. Can't those arguments be provided as a list?

I'm in danger of getting short-tempered on c.l.py for the first time in
a long time. If you think that five arguments is an excessive number for
a function then you live in a world of toy programs.

> Let's see what is shorter:
>
> foo bar baz bar2 bar3 bar4
> or
> foo *bars
>
> Not to mention that it might (or might not) be a good idea to wrap the
> function in some kind of class where you can specify a whole bunch of
> attributes, so that you do not have to call a function with that many
> arguments to start with.

Right, I think I have to assume that you're taking the piss.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden