why brackets & commas in func calls can't be ommited? (maybe it could be PEP?)

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Mar 21 15:30:12 EDT 2007

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

> dmitrey wrote:
>
>> I looked to the PEPs & didn't find a proposition to remove brackets &
>> commas for to make Python func call syntax caml- or tcl- like: instead
>> of
>> result = myfun(param1, myfun2(param5, param8), param3)
>> just make possible using
>> result =  myfun param1 (myfun2 param5 param8) param3
>>
>> it would reduce length of code lines and make them more readable, + no
>> needs to write annoing charecters.
>
> This is not true, there is no shorter code lines:
>
> foo bar baz
> foo(bar,baz)
>
> And the "more readable" part certainly depends on the habits of the user -
> to me, it's harder to read.

I agree.  Not to mention, the secondary stated goal of saving typing
should be very, very low down on the list of priorities in programming
language design.  Excessive and needless verbosity is one thing; but
saving keystrokes for its own sake is not a priority and never should be.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   I am not afraid / To be a lone Bohemian
    -- Lamya