The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

David Golden david.golden at oceanfree.net
Sat Jun 23 11:28:29 EDT 2007

Bjorn Borud wrote:

> [Falcolas <garrickp at gmail.com>]
> |
> | I guess ultimately I'm trying to argue the point that just because a
> | tool was written with a GUI or on Windows does not automatically
> | make it any less a productive tool than a text based terminal tool.
> | Even in windows, you can use the keyboard to do all of your work, if
> | you learn how (thanks to the magic of the alt key).
>
> as I see it, the debate isn't whether GUI tools are inferior per se,
> but whether Emacs is inferior since it has its own interaction
> concepts that do not map 1:1 to GUI conventions of Windows and OSX.

I think it worthwile to point out again here that emacs does in fact
have a bitmapped, windowy GUI, has done for years - e.g.
http://oldr.net/emacshelp4.gif  ...
Some people in this silly thread (not Bjørn specifically) seem to be
labouring under the impression that it is solely a text-only
interface - "Mouse longcuts" exist for the most basic keyboard commands
when you're using emacs on a WIMP system like X11 or Microsoft Windows
(though you can turn them off to stop wasting screen real estate on
pretty-pretty once you know the keyboard commands)

Climacs @
http://common-lisp.net/project/climacs/