The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Bjorn Borud borud-news at borud.no
Sat Jun 23 11:08:19 EDT 2007

[Falcolas <garrickp at gmail.com>]

| I guess ultimately I'm trying to argue the point that just because a
| tool was written with a GUI or on Windows does not automatically make
| it any less a productive tool than a text based terminal tool. Even in
| windows, you can use the keyboard to do all of your work, if you learn
| how (thanks to the magic of the alt key).

as I see it, the debate isn't whether GUI tools are inferior per se,
but whether Emacs is inferior since it has its own interaction
concepts that do not map 1:1 to GUI conventions of Windows and OSX.

the point I am trying to get across is that Emacs (and vi) is its own
niche, and that if you want to improve them, there are more important
things than fiddling around with superficial details (like keybindings
-- which you can customize to your own liking anyway).

for Emacs it would be far more helpful if the Lisp-implementation was
replaced with one that is more efficient and Common Lisp-like.
(indeed several friends of mine would like to see Emacs done in Common
Lisp, and I seem to have some memory of such a project existing
somewhere).

-Bjørn