I am giving up perl because of assholes on clpm -- switching to Python

Sherm Pendley spamtrap at dot-app.org
Thu Jul 26 13:50:49 EDT 2007

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:

> On c.l.py there are standards of behavior, and we encourage people to
> observe them (while attempting to engage politely with those who
> don't).

We also do that on c.l.perl.misc.

The problems tend to arise when people get defensive and argumentative in
reaction to the polite reminder. For example, "Please don't top-post here.
Have you read the posting guidelines?" is as polite as it gets - but I've
lost track of the number of children who respond with variants of "Don't
tell me how to post! What's with the jerks in this group anyway?"

Just like in any other group, you reap what you sow in c.l.perl.misc.

> I suppose, in fairness, I should admit that the tone of your
> post is actually far more polite than that of the one you were
> responding to. I shudder to think what Martha underwent to make her
> vent like that ...

As far as I can find, it's "her" first post to the group. That, and the
fact that it was cross-posted, leads me to think it's just trolling.

sherm--