I am giving up perl because of assholes on clpm -- switching to Python

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Jul 26 12:38:34 EDT 2007

zentara wrote:

> This is where the big boys play, you have to be able to be able to
> scuffle and take punishment if you are wrong or unduly ignorant.
> You also need to squash somehow who attacks you, when you
> know you are right.

Where is this again? High school? I can understand people getting
impatient with repeated incoherent one-line messages of the form "can
u give me teh codes thanx", but you'd show off your community a bit
better by entertaining even the most naive questions - people have to
start somewhere, you know.

> I was watching a CNBC yesterday, and they interviewed a leading
> solar panel company's CEO. One guy just blasted him for no reason
> other than he gets a government subsidy, and even the moderator felt
> bad for the way the executive was blasted. BUT...... they are the big
> boys, playing for real money, and if you play there, you have to expect
> to have your toughness tested..... it means real profit and loss.

In comp.lang.perl.misc? It seems to me that the "big boys" in this
case have an inflated sense of their own bigness.

Paul

P.S. Although it's nice to point to beginner resources, too, let us
avoid comp.lang.python becoming some kind of linux-kernel ego trip
where anyone who has stuck around has an interest in perpetuating a
hostile atmosphere.