Learning Jython?

Benjamin musiccomposition at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 22:29:59 EDT 2007

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Matt Bitten <mbitten73 at yahoo.com> writes:
> > It looks like Jython is for me. That said, I have two questions:
> > (1) Am I thinking straight here? Or is there some other solution that
> > a knows-Python-but-not-Java programmer might use?
You could convert to the whole world to using the Grail (http://
grail.sourceforge.net), which can run Python applets, but Java applets
with Jython are probably the second best option. The java.awt.Applet
class isn't that bad. For simple applets, it's probably the only one
you'll need. After all, Jython makes Java classes look like Python.
Good Luck!

> You are thinking of embedding Jython in a web applet?  Probably not
> such a great idea, due to its size.
Ah, but Jython compiles Python to Java bytecode so browsers will run
it. However, it is true, that you'd have to include all of the
standard library modules you used.