Learning Jython?

Matt Bitten mbitten73 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 18:41:48 EDT 2007

Hi, all. I'm in a situation where I need to be writing a bunch of
quick-y (hopefully) self-contained programs that anyone can run from a
web page. Java applets are the obvious way to do this. However, I
don't know much Java, and, frankly, right now I don't feel much like
learning it. I *am* pretty good at Python, however.

It looks like Jython is for me. That said, I have two questions:

(1) Am I thinking straight here? Or is there some other solution that
a knows-Python-but-not-Java programmer might use?

(2) Assuming that I'm going with Jython, it looks like I'm not going
to be able to come up with any kind of GUI without learning the Java
libraries. Can someone point me to a tutorial for Everything I've
found are like, "You know the Java libraries forwards and backwards;
now learn to call them in Python." That's not what I need.

-- Matt