Python does not play well with others

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sat Feb 3 00:09:43 EST 2007

Paul Rubin <"http://phr.cx"@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> Why should the hosting provider need to devote attention to
> something like that?  MySQLdb or something like it should be
> included with Python, not added separately by the hosting provider.

"Something like it" *is* included in Python. Python 2.5 includes
SQLite in the standard library. Where do we draw the line? You want
MySQL, I want PostgreSQL, he wants Firebird, they want an interface to
something proprietary.

The standard library is for modules that are *small* and/or *generally
useful*. SQLite meets the former, and to some extent the latter, far
more than does a MySQL interface.

All the *extra* stuff is what you're paying the hosting company to
take care of in the first place.

--
 \     "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it."  |
  `\                                                  -- Steven Wright |