Python does not play well with others

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Feb 2 18:25:23 EST 2007

    Paul> Why is it that PHP and J2SE manage deal with this problem but
    Paul> Python cannot?

I can't speak authoritatively for either PHP or J2SE, but I suspect the
latter at least has some signifiant monetary support (if not outright gobs
of human resources) from Sun.  PHP seems to have a more limited application
domain (web apps) from which it has expanded a bit.  Can I build a PHP site
out of the box with a PostgreSQL or Oracle backend?  Does J2SE have
something comparable to Numpy or scipy?

While might do the occasional bit of Python hacking for free, I still need
to put food on the table.  My employer doesn't care if MySQLdb (to use one
of your examples) is delivered with Python or not.  They aren't likely to
want to support me to solve your problems.

Skip