Python does not play well with others

Paul Rubin http
Sat Feb 3 00:41:05 EST 2007

Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> writes:
> "Something like it" *is* included in Python. Python 2.5 includes
> SQLite in the standard library. Where do we draw the line? You want
> MySQL, I want PostgreSQL, he wants Firebird, they want an interface to
> something proprietary.

Since Python is being touted as good for web apps as a competitor to
PHP, it should offer the same db connectivity in its stdlib that PHP
offers in its.  I think that includes MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle,
but I dunno about Firebird.

> All the *extra* stuff is what you're paying the hosting company to
> take care of in the first place.

No.  I'm paying the hosting company for access to a computer that's
connected to electricity and to the internet and which has a
straightforward OS, language package, web server, and db installed.
They need to know how to download a distro and type "make" to build
and install it and occasionally upgrade to a new version, but they
aren't expected to be experts on the intracacies of the software any
more than the guy who sells me potatoes at the supermarket is supposed
to be a gourmet chef.  They shouldn't have to deal with dozens of
interdependent modules downloaded from different places just to
support one language.  The fewer different packages they have to deal
with, the better off everyone involved is.  And that means that a
package like Python should come preconfigured with all the modules
that that a typical user would expect to want to use with it.