threading and multicores, pros and cons

Nikita the Spider NikitaTheSpider at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 13:29:52 EST 2007

In article <7x4pphfjnx.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
 Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> Nikita the Spider <NikitaTheSpider at gmail.com> writes:
> > note, there a (sort of) new module available that allows interprocess
> > communication via shared memory and semaphores with Python. You can find
> > it here:
> > http://NikitaTheSpider.com/python/shm/
>
> This is from the old shm module that was floating around several years
> ago?  Cool, I remember trying to find it recently and it seemed to
> have disappeared--the original url was dead and it wasn't mirrored
> anywhere.

Yes, this is almost certainly the one which you remember. I had a hard
time finding it myself, but it's still shipped with a few Linux distros
that have their SVN repository online and indexed by Google.

FYI, I fixed a few bugs in the original, added some small features and a
wrapper module. If you're compiling for Linux you might need to remove
the HAVE_UNION_SEMUN definition from setup.py. (Just learned this
yesterday thanks to Eric J. and I haven't updated the documentation yet.)

> How about putting it in CheeseShop or some other such repository?

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that since I've never used the Cheese Shop
myself. <honestly-not-being-grouchy-just-naive>What benefits does Cheese
Shop confer to someone looking for a package?</> I ask because from my
perspective it just adds overhead to package maintenance.

> Having it in the stdlib would be even better, of course.

That'd be fine with me!

--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/