threading and multicores, pros and cons

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Feb 20 14:47:36 EST 2007

Nikita the Spider wrote:

> Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that since I've never used the Cheese Shop
> myself. <honestly-not-being-grouchy-just-naive>What benefits does Cheese
> Shop confer to someone looking for a package?</> I ask because from my
> perspective it just adds overhead to package maintenance.

The Python Package Index, as I prefer to call it (but we're talking
about the same thing), doesn't really make any special demands on
distribution or maintenance: you just need to register yourself and
add an entry for the package, filling in a few fields such as the
homepage and perhaps the download link; you can also upload archives
if you'd prefer. If you have a PKG-INFO file, you can either upload
that in order to get fields filled out more conveniently (as long as
the Package Index likes the file), and if you have a setup.py script
you might be able to use the upload feature with that (and the PKG-
INFO file, I suppose).

Don't be confused by all the setuptools extras and any insistence that
the Package Index works best with things that are packaged as Python
Eggs: whilst that might confer certain benefits, mostly to users who
rely on Egg dependencies, it's peripheral to the purpose of the
Package Index itself.

Paul