(n)curses or tcl/tk?

magnate chrisc at dbass.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 11:35:41 EST 2007

Hi All,

Just learning Python - my first new language for about 18 years (I'm
not a programmer ...). I'm writing a small utility to manipulate some
text files (for the game VGA Planets, if you're interested: http://
www.phost.de). It's currently working, but it looks a bit ugly with
raw_input and just basic text output.

I have plans to expand the functions of the utility, and I want a
simple GUI frontend. I assumed I'd end up with something that looks a
bit like the Debian installer: a curses-driven thing with simple ascii
boxes and buttons. But reading a bit more about Python makes me think
that support for tcl/tk is much more developed than support for
curses.

So my question is, should I go to the trouble of learning how to make
boxes and stuff using tcl/tk, or just go with ncurses as I imagined?

Which is more portable? The basic idea is that this just runs on the
largest possible variety of systems (er, assuming they have Python
installed, of course). I use Debian mostly, but of course it needs to
run on bog-standard Windows boxes. Does that tilt the balance in
favour of curses or tcl/tk? Or should I just stick with ugly text?

Thanks for all your help,

CC (noob)